Willing Willie may resume on May 9 2011

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

MANILA, Philippines — “Willing Willie,” the controversial primetime game show of ABC TV5, was suspended for one month by the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB), it was nnounced Tuesday.
However, the program may resume regular programming on May 9 as the suspension includes the program’s “voluntary suspension” that started last April 9.
“It’s up to them kung kailan sila mag-re-resume on air. Hindi natin alam ‘yan. Walang pumipigil sa kanila. Puwede na sa May 9, 2011,’’ Atty. Jonathan S. Presquito, MTRCB legal counsel, said.
Pesquito also said that the TV5 network lost some P300 million following the suspension of the game show. “The daily earning is about P10 million. Ang alam ko P7 million para sa network and the rest kay Willie. Malaki na ang nawawala sa kanila.’’
Officials of ABC TV5 said that they will make an official announcement on the airing of “Willing Willie” soon.
The suspension stemmed from the allegations of child abuse during the show’s March 12 segment.
In a 14-page decision issued yesterday, MTRCB Chairman Mary Grace Poe Llamanzares said the game show, hosted by Willie Revillame, will also be placed on probation or on a per-episode permit basis.
The Hearing and Adjudication Committee of MTRCB said that it found the show liable for violating Section 3 (c) of PD 1986.
The same decision counselled celebrities and TV personalities of their role in the industry, stating that they “should exercise the highest degree of care and diligence as they are most seen, and their reach and influence is far greater than any individual.”
The MTRCB also said that it is the responsibility of the network and their talents to educate themselves on gender sensitivity, children and women’s rights issues, the rights of indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, senior citizens, and other marginalized sectors of the society.
“Let this decision stand as a reminder to all networks, producers, directors, public figures, celebrities, and hosts that: we are all advocates. And as advocates, we are duty-bound to fight for a TV industry that does not only make us ‘eat for a day,’ but an industry that inspires, transforms, and moves us, to live better lives,’’ the decision said.
The suspension came just when the show was preparing for its comeback on May 7, following a 26-day leave from the TV5 network. It went on hiatus last April 11.
“Juicy Express,” the entertainment program of TV5 reported last April 29 that the program will return under a new format.
Reports had earlier said that the top-rating primetime show might comeback on a different timeslot. “Willing Willie’’ aired from 6:45 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. On Saturdays, the show aired from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Revillame’s show was criticized after a boy contestant engaged in a macho dance routine last March 12. Among the groups that criticized the segment were the Commission on Human Rights (CHR), the Catholic Bishops
Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). Other personalities also criticized the show.

SOURCE   ;  http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/316702/willing-willie-suspended

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Chitika